Raw Wild Rice, Pecan, and Cranberry Salad
This is a wonderful rice salad that I learned from Dr Stan Wetschler and his wife Jayne when we were preparing for a week long holistic health retreat for cancer therapy. It has become one of my favorite raw food dishes because it offers the taste and texture of cooked rice while still being raw.
- 1 cup wild rice, sprouted (soak wild rice in water for 24 – 48 hours or until it begins to split open and soften, rinse and drain)
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ½ cup cranberries
- ¼ cup green onions
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons flat parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup celery, finely chopped
- ½ cup red, green and yellow peppers [ any combination or one alone]
- (optionally use green apples instead of cranberries and raisins for a lower sugar alternative)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of an orange
- 1 tablespoon of orange grated /zested peel
- Coarse salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together all of the solid ingredients in a bowl.
- Mix the dressing in a separate bowl and stir into the salad.
- Add coarse sea salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate for several hours to allow the flavors to incorporate.
Servings: 4 – 6