Raw Mango Pie
(Photo Credit: Inner-Scientist)
In a pinch one day, I needed to come up with a dessert to bring to a pot luck gathering. Well, I took the ingredients I had on hand and inspiration from various raw food chefs and had fun creating what has become one of my favorite desserts. I keep this in the freezer for anytime my sweet tooth is kicking in.
- 2 cups of almonds
- 1/2 cup of dates – soaked in water
- Pinch of sea salt
- 4 mangoes
- 4 bananas (optionally add slices from 2 additional bananas – see below)
Soak dates in water for 10 – 15 minutes and drain.
To make the pie crust, place almonds in a food processor until it forms a course flour. Add dates and a pinch of salt and process further. Press the crust in a pie pan.
For the filling, add four mangoes and four bananas to the food processor and blend until smooth. You may stir in slices from an additional two bananas if you choose. Pour the mixture into the pie pan and freeze until firm before serving.
Optional Fruit Pie Variation (Blueberry, Strawberry, Cherry or Peach Pie):
Use the same crust as above only change the filling as desired.
- 5 or 6 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, strawberries, peaches, plums or cherries (thaw and drain well, if frozen)
- 3/4 cup pitted medjool dates, soaked
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Place 1 1/2 cups of fruit along with the dates and lemon juice in a blender (you may also add an optional pinch of sea salt), and process until smooth.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the remaining fruit, and mix well.
- Pour the fruit filling into the crust and spread with a rubber spatula.
- This version of the pie does not need to be frozen.