Quinoa and Vegetable Stew
- ½ cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 C chopped onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 C diced red skin potatoes
- 1 C diced winter squash such as acorn, butternut or carnival
- 1 C chopped red or green bell peppers
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 C vegetable broth
- 1 ½ C chopped fresh or undrained jarred tomatoes (14 1/2oz)
- 1 C diced zucchini or yellow squash
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
Thoroughly rinse and drain the quinoa in a fine mesh strainer.
Heat oil in a soup pot and add the onions and salt and cover to cook on medium for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the quinoa, potatoes, peppers, spices, water or stock, and tomatoes. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Add squash and cover and simmer for 15 – 20 minutes, or until all veggies are tender.
Stir in lemon juice.
Serve with optional garnishes: chopped scallions, fresh cilantro, crumbled tortilla chips etc.
4 – 6 servings