Meal Planning Ideas to Help Reverse Diabetes
Learn to customize your choices to appeal to your tastes and preferences. Your goal is to develop a list of your favorite meal choices that you enjoy and that fully satisfy your taste and cravings while supporting your health. Learn to explore ways to have wonderful plant-based meals and be willing to try new things.
- Oatmeal cooked with chopped apples and raisins to sweeten, and add cinnamon and a few chopped walnuts and top with fresh or frozen berries
- Instead of oatmeal, use brown rice, quinoa and or millet to make a whole grain porridge and serve it like the oatmeal above
- Instead of eggs, sautee onions and garlic, greens, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, or any vegetables you love with small red skin potatoes or yams (instead of bread)
- Enjoy some fresh fruit with nuts,seeds or natural nut butters. You can cut up the fruit and put it all in a bowl with the nuts, seeds and nut butters or you can just put some natural peanut butter or almond butter on a sliced apple or pear.
- Try a smoothie from our list of smoothie ideas. Smoothies are wonderful during the day as a healthy treat that also satisfies a sweet craving. In the morning, I recommend a “green” smoothie that tastes like the wonderful fruit that is in it but includes the health benefits of green leafy vegetables. Be sure to see our “low glycemic green smoothie” if your blood sugar is very high as you may want to be careful at first with any high-sugar fruit until the blood sugar begins to balance.
- Find a non-dairy milk you love such as almond, rice, soy, hemp, flax, or coconut milk to use with the grains/oatmeal and for smoothies
Lunch and Dinner (see our wide array of recipes):
- Vegetable Soups
A wide variety of salads
Steamed veggies and rice
Beans and Rice
Pasta with Tomato Sauce and a salad