Lentil Artichoke Stew
Posted on October 28, 2015
This recipe is from The Cancer Project’s book, “The Cancer Survivor’s Guide”. This is absolutely a favorite of my family and my clients alike as it is so simple and so good.
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup dry (uncooked) red lentils (3 cups cooked)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 24-ounce jars of chopped tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted), undrained, or 6 cups
- freshly chopped tomatoes plus 1 cup tomato juice
- 1 1/2 cups quartered artichoke hearts (1 9-ounce frozen package or 1 15-ounce jar)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- Heat broth in a large saucepan.
- Add onion and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until golden.
- Add garlic, cumin, and coriander and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add dried lentils, bay leaf, and water to pan and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and add lemon juice, tomatoes and their liquid, artichokes, and crushed red pepper (if using).
- Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender.
- Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Add salt and black pepper, or to taste