Lemony Smashed Potatoes
Posted on October 29, 2015
Various chefs on The Cooking Channel were making versions of smashed potatoes. From watching them, I was inspired to create my own.
- 1 small bag of baby red skin potatoes or other small potatoes
- 4 T olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 T olive oil
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 3 T lemon juice
- 3 T of chopped fresh herbs using mostly parsley with a bit of basil or sage or thyme or chives
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Wash the potatoes and cook in a pot of boiling water until softened.
- Drain and allow to cool briefly.
- Smash each small potato with the palm of your hand or by using a wide spatula, on a cutting board.
- Heat 2 T of oil in a large frying pan and add the garlic.
- After the garlic has lightly cooked, add the smashed potatoes until they line the bottom of the pan.
- Cook the potatoes until they brown on the bottom.
- Flip the potatoes over with a spatula, add 2 more tablespoons of oil and cook until they are browned on the second side.
- Season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Move the potatoes onto a plate and drizzle with the herb/lemon dressing.
- If the lemony flavor does not appeal to you or go with your meal, simply omit, and add the herbs and spices with some additional olive oil.