Hearty Vegetable and Grain Soup
Posted on October 28, 2015
One of my best friends fed this soup to me once while in NY studying at the Integrative Institute and again during one weekend visit to VT. This is certain to become one of your cold-weather favorites.
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 whole yellow onion chopped
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 T Italian season blend
- 1 tsp dry parsley
- 1 T dried basil
- 12 cups water
- 1/2 bundle of broccoli chopped
- Zucchini or yellow squash chopped
- 1 Large yam chopped
- 1 cup of quinoa rinsed and drained.
- 1/2 cup whole leaf kelp cut into small pieces
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar 7 oz jar of tomato paste
- 1 – 2 cups chopped collards and kale
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Sauté onion and garlic in oil in a large soup pot until onion is translucent. Add the water, chopped vegetables, kelp, tomatoes, and quinoa, bring to a boil and simmer for 30 minutes.
- It is recommended to add the stems of the kale and collards early with the other vegetables and add the chopped green leafy parts during the last few minutes of the cooking time to prevent over cooking. Also, add the sea salt after cooking is complete and before serving. Stir to dissolve.