Chickpea and Spinach Soup
Posted on October 29, 2015
From Dr. Julia Greer’s Anticancer Cookbook
- 2 T olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/3 cup diced celery
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 T finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans
- 1 1/4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup of diced tomatoes
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups of fresh chopped spinach
- Sauté garlic and shallots in olive oil in a large soup pot for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add celery and red pepper flakes and continue to sauté for another 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock, rosemary, chickpeas, rice, tomatoes and salt.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer about 30 minutes.
- Pour about half of the soup into a blender and blend to make the soup creamier.
- Return the blended soup to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper and add chopped spinach.
- Simmer on low heat for 6 or 7 minutes and serve hot.