Butternut Squash Soup with Fried Sage Leaves
Posted on October 29, 2015
Adapted from Bon Appetit, Flavors of the World
- 3 T coconut oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 T chopped fresh sage
- 1 2 ¾ pound squash, halved, seeded, chopped (about 5 cups)
- 5 cups of vegetable broth
- 24 fresh sage leaves
- Melt 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion; cover and cook until soft, stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes.
- Add chopped sage, stir 1 minute.
- Add squash and broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender, about 25 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper?(this can be made one day ahead, cool slightly then cover and refrigerate)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sage leaves and sauté until brown and toasted about 2 minutes.
- Bring the soup to a simmer again.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fried sage leaves.