Butternut Squash and Red Bell Pepper Soup with Ginger and Hemp Seeds
Posted on October 28, 2015
Inspired by Manitoba Harvest
- 1 T olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 large leeks
- 1 large butternut squash
- 1/4 large red bell pepper
- 6 cups of vegetable broth
- 4 T fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups hemp seeds
- 1 T cayenne pepper (optional)
- Cut squash into large sections and remove the ends and seeds. Bake the squash in a roasting pan at 350 for 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- While squash is baking, chop leeks and red pepper and combine with a pinch of grated ginger in a large pan with the oil and sauté on medium heat for a few minutes until soft.
- Scoop out the soft butternut squash and add to the pan with the leeks and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Warm vegetable broth in another pot and add to the squash mixture one cup at a time until creamy and thick.
- Transfer the squash mixture and any remaining stock along with the cayenne and hemp seeds and blend until creamy. Garnish with additional hemp seeds and serve.