Sweet Potato or Yam Casserole
I created this recipe for Thanksgiving dinner. I was never a fan of the typical sugary sweet potato casserole with maple syrup and marshmallows. It always seemed more like a dessert than a dinner side dish to me. So, I created my own version that is plenty sweet naturally, without added sugar.
- 2 pounds of sweet potatoes or yams 2 T coconut oil
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut milk 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup of pecans coarsely chopped Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and cook until soft (either by roasting in the oven or boiling in a pot of water).
- Place the cooked potatoes in a bowl and mash.
- Use some of the coconut oil to grease the inside bottom and sides of a casserole dish.
- Melt the remaining coconut oil and mix with the pecans.
- Mix the other ingredients into the potatoes, except for the pecans.
- Pour the potato mixture into the casserole dish, sprinkle the pecans on top and bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.